Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pruning

Kind of a late post this week. But anyways, here's my thoughts during Day 6 of last week's Seven day Prayer and Fasting. May be a bit disorganized, but it's genuine in a sense that I just typed away what my thoughts are currently processing that time. Enjoy:

------


Pruning


Six days into the fast and it still keeps on getting better. God never fails to amaze. I know God is pointing specific areas in my life that I need to change. 

Before a plant bears fruit, there are certain prerequisites that needs to be done. Adequate sunlight and water, roots deeply planted on good soil, environment and temperature should be just right, fertilizers are usually needed, and of course, proper care of the one who planted that seed. 

But sometimes, no usually, these certain conditions are not met. And that's where the owner comes into the picture. The one who planted the seed should take care of the plant or else, it will just wither and die. And one of the things the owner should to is to prune the plant.

One of the definitions of pruning is, "to cut off or cut back parts of for better shape or more fruitful growth." There it is right there. The very definition of pruning is applicable not only to plants, but also to us as well.

John 15: 1-8
I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples

Now, for us to be fruitful christians, we should remain in the vine. And if we are in the vine, we should be bearing fruit. However, there are aspects in our lives that aren't producing fruit. And if this is the case, all the more that we need pruning. God removes those branches that does not bear fruit, in order for us to be fruitful.

Now, cutting branches will be painful. Nobody said that it isn't. Pruning will hurt you, because it is God Himself that is cutting ties to those areas in your life that does not bring glory to His name. It may be a sinful habit, an illicit relationship, personal issues, whatever. Those areas in our life that God points at to us should be changed. And of course, not through our own will or strength, but only through His grace, else all of it will just be in vain.

Pruning does not happen overnight. It is a process that takes time. After all, no plant that was pruned bore fruit the next day. It will take some time for it to sit, and for us to realize the effects of what just happened. It will be uncomfortable or unfamiliar at first, but it is for the best. God does not prune someone only to wither in the end. If only we would wait on God's perfect timing and on His will, we will see that fruit grow, and reap whatever God has planted. And then we would just look back and remember, 'this must be the result of God's pruning. Thank God I yielded and allowed Him to prune me.'

No comments:

Post a Comment